Subscribe to RSS

Friday, December 16, 2011

Motion sickness at it's best...


i've always known that i get car sick. it runs in my family. my brother gets it 10 times as bad as i do. but i suppose over the years i've noticed it less and less... because, well... i drive most every where i go. enter husband stage left. with a car in a foreign country. never mind that said husband drives like a bat out of hell... forget that said country is full of tiny miniscule streets that seem to wind and turn on a dime... the point is that i've been car sick (ie nauseous and dizzy) more times since i've made it to Germany than i can possibly remember. D says all this will change once i have my license. dear Lord i hope so. it's gotten so bad that i bring a package of saltines with me at all times. and NO... i'm not pregnate.

TODAY'S NEWS
well the wind is threatening to blow our apartment down on this fine friday morning. i'm supposed to go shopping with tam today... and i feel like the weather is going to try it's best to make the happy occasion as miserable as possible. it's the perfect day to hole up in bed with old movies and munchies. or do laundry. (tomato/tomahto) so i feel like i should get some credit for taking on mother nature... all for a pair of flat heeled, non-suede, very warm, germany appropriate boots. because right now she's taunting me... "oh yeah honey... you can try to get that done today.... but in the end? your freezing cold dripping wet ass is mine."

D went into town to get the snow tires put on our car today. that's new. i've never had an extra set of tires for a vehicle before. this must mean we get snow here. so where is it?

on a more interesting note our christmas party adventure in Miesenbach last night was a blast! i met a whole bunch of really kind people... and wives that are ready to take me under their wing and show me all that is military living (tips, tricks, where to go to get this, that and the other). it was nice to get out and take a break from life. the white elephant exchange was a huge success! D and i ended up coming home with a bottle of McCormicks irish liqueur... and a ginormous chocolate santa... who is now sans-feet coutesy of my breakfast of champions. i believe we're going to try and take brandon (Airman Amren ha!) and his wife paula with us to IKEA tonight. that should be a really good time. and we're taking another mini trip to heidelberg on sunday to hit the christmas markets before they're over. glühwein is seriously become my favorite lounging drink.... awesome.

My prized chocolate Santa! He's over 1' tall... and the glühwein! It tastes like hot spiced sangria! Yummay!!!

well that's all for today... hope everyone is having an amazing friday! miss and love ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. So... do all the people speak English there? Or do you know German that well? So glad that you found some nice people! As far as I could tell with my brief encounter on the border of Italy... they are very neat and clean people... so be warned...your apartment will probably always have to be spotless...free of even minor dust... I mean... you might even have to resort to scrubbing the toilet with a toothbrush. haha... maybe not that clean, but close enough. Or maybe I'm entirely wrong. Let me know if that stereotype holds throughout different families in Germany! . :-))

    Do you know how is the driving test going to go? Is there a written portion (if so, then in which language?)... and a driving portion? Will you have to try to squeeze your 4-wheeled snow-ready car into a super tight spot by parallel parking? That would give me nightmares. Medieval roads are super narrow... and European drivers tend to get too close with their vehicles to one another... sometimes missing each other by inches! What car does Dana have? Does he take it to work? And how do you get around? Is the town small enough to walk it through? Or is there public transportation. Sorry for all the questions! You life is just so exciting right now! I miss Europe. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yulia!!!!
    So great to hear from you!!!! Congratulations on your engagement to Matt!! I finally sat down to answer all your questions... Sorry it took so long. So here you go!
    -a great deal of the people here speak English.... Which is unfortunate because it makes me lazy in practicing my German... But they are all nice if you try.
    - the driving test is only written form if you have a valid drivers license... Which is great! Still intimidating though. And luckily we have reserved parking at our apartment...but still have to squeeze our monstrous Honda accord into tiny German parking in the city. That's a seriously good time... Lol
    - Dana does take the car these days seeing as I cant drive it yet... But once I have my license then we plan to try and trade off. The town is small and we love at the top of the hill... So I could walk down (although it's a hike) but it'd be much easier to bike down... Maybe not up though. I get around when I need to. There is stuff within walking distance though so of I need to get out I can. Plus the girls have offered to take me somewhere if i need it. There is a bus stop near here but I don't know the routes yet.
    So yes... Plenty of exciting stuff going on!!! How are you??? What are you and Matt planning for the wedding??? Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas!!! I hope you'll keep reading and giving me feedback!!!! It's encouraging!
    Love ya!
    ~kw

    ReplyDelete