Subscribe to RSS

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Frohe Ostern (Happy Easter!), Birthday Shenanigans, & Daily Surprises...

Today's Excitement Last Week's Excitement:
Dana and I almost never eat on base if we can help it. It's been a tradition for both of us whenever we're overseas. One night last week, we double dated with the Amrein's at Macaroni Grill. I do adore me some italian food! Ironically enough, that isn't the excitement. We had the most amazing waiter i have ever had the pleasure of encountering. To protect his identity in this story let's call him "Philip". Now, "Philip" was cheerful right from the start.... he made us feel like it was just his luck that he was able to be our waiter for the evening. This is so rare. But on top of the amazing service, he gave us table trivia... and told us if we answered correctly we would win a "free" dessert (by which we would compensate him in the tip of course.) The Amrien's had a question and so did we. They were written on the paper table cloth in crayon as follows:

1. Steven Spielberg had many critically acclaimed films in his life. For which of the following did he receive his first Academy Award?
a. Jaws
b. ET
c. Jurassic Park
d. Saving Private Ryan
e. Schindler's List

2. How many million miles is the earth away from the sun?
a. 30
b. 42
c. 73
d. 93

Unfortunately Dana and I missed our question, but the Amrein's got theirs right... (1. d , 2. d) which mean, free brownie ice cream dessert! YUM! But i digress... the excitement... During the meal, "Philip" had brought over the customary gigantic pepper grinder that the waiters at the Mac Grill use. I commented on how cool they were and told dana that we needed to get one ASAP. "Philip" then commented that he had a customer once tell him how she had stolen a pepper grinder from another Mac Grill location. D & I were in awe. and yes, stealing did cross my mind. But before you go and think we're criminals (and stupid ones at that as i'm posting this on a blog) let me finish the story. At the end of the meal, "Philip" came over to take our plates and had a pepper grinder in his hand. i still had my plate in front of me and he said "Sooooo, i'm going to leave this hear for you as i am SURE you're going to need lots of pepper with your meal. PLEASE feel free to use as much as you like." i then realized he was setting us up to allow us to take the grinder home! He then came back with all the meals packaged and a large carryout bag. "Philip" - "Here, allow me to pack this up for you... " (in goes the pepper grinder) "wouldn't want you to forget anything... You folks have a great night!" i was ecstatic! Turns out "Philip" is more than a regular Joe. We chatted with him for a while after that and he used to have a pretty prestigious career back in the states (of which i won't mention to further protect his identity). All this is to say that between the Amrein's and ourselves, we were pleased as punch with the oh-so-friendly service. We even filled out comment cards to praise "Philip" on a job well done. Here's the fruit of our success....



Froe Ostern!!!! (A Germany Easter)
I don't know how this happened, but Easter completely snuck up on us this year. What the french toast? Dana calls me one day to tell me that there's a three day weekend and i about fell out of my chair realizing the extra day was good friday. Oops. I was sad to realize i hadn't done any holiday decorating this year. No dying eggs, or painting wood cutouts. The only festive thing i had done was buy a seven pound bag of easter peanut M&M's (don't judge. you know you wanted to do it.) So collectively dana and I decided that we would cook a nice meal for sunday night dinner. We went to church on easter morning and heard a really good message. Although the song & dance broadway musical wasn't quite my style. We went to Barbarosa Backerei for lunch and had some amazingly yummy snacks!


I had no idea easter was such a big deal in Germany. When i went to Globus with Amy while running errands, i was astounded at the amount of unique easter chocolate delicacies. I have never seen such gourmet chocolate bunnies, eggs, ladybugs, kinder eggs, etc. It was a regular foreign holiday candy smörgåsbord. I wish i would've gotten a picture, but i was slightly embarrassed to pull out my camera and look like a tourist (shame on me! i know..). On my walks about our neighborhood, there were also signs of easter everywhere! Dana and I managed to have a wonderful holiday complete with an amazing dinner of angel hair pasta with sauteed cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, lemon & tuna plus garlic bread from fresh bakery bread. YUM! 

Birthday Shenanigans
Dana's 28th birthday was on April 10th. I have been prepping a birthday surprise for him for the past two weeks!!!! I couldn't have done this without the help of Amy Hopkins, my fairygodmother. While surveying the contents of Amy's garage with her she mentioned that she was getting rid of the rundown teak wood patio set sitting there. She told me if i wanted it, i could refinish it and have the set! She was happy to get it out of the garage. I of course jumped at the chance and the project. She has a small amount of mineral oil but i knew i would eventually need to go out and get more. So after one coat was on the table and part of a chair, off i headed. I was super excited to get to Toom without using the GPS... all the way from Weilerbach! Then i was saddled with an altogether different problem... i knew what kind of oil i needed, but i keep forgetting that wherever i go, all the products/groceries/supplies are in german. i-phone to the rescue.... well sort of. I sat there for an hour translating different types. and I was terrified of getting the wrong one. Actually, i was more terrified of over paying for the right stuff, when i could have bought the generic version for soooo much less. don't forget, it's all in euro on the economy. so $20 is more like $35. I really wanted to get teak oil... but it was going to be around 56 . ($73... ouch) So I finally i broke down and asked for someone who spoke english. I ended up talking to the nicest German girl and she was SO helpful. Products in hand, i raced back to Amy's to finish the first coat. The table and chairs ended up having three coats of oil apiece and turned out gorgeous! I was shocked at the difference. Here's before and after photos so you can see for yourself. 

With the patio furniture, my idea was to give Dana "porch therapy" here in Germany. It's a concept his family developed in Iowa with their ginormous back porch with the beautiful view. I managed to pick up some cute spring-like cushions at Globus and a mini lantern for a candle. I knew i was going to cook him a ridiculous dinner and serve it on the balcony of our apartment. The day comes and it's so over cast.... but Amy and her  three little ones, help us load everything in the van and then bring it into the apartment. The table and chairs fit beautifully! I was so excited at how it was all coming together. It has taken EVERYTHING in my power to keep this secret. Not being able to blog about it was killing me. KILLING me. My menu for the night was the following: Pan Seared Marinated Rib-eye Steaks with a Merlot reduction sauce. Crab & chive cream cheese mashed potatoes. Sauteed french style green beans with shallots. & for dessert, his favorite, red velvet cupcakes. SO excited! Amy had helped me drop the car for dana back on base, so all i had to do was prep the house/meal/birthday presents for him when he got home! He was so surprised when he walked in the door! I had set up the table outside with a dinner for two.... with the piles of presents on the table. The best part was that it was raining. and because of the direction our balcony faces and the fact that it's covered, we could sit and eat outside in the rain, and didn't get wet at all!!! Enjoy the photos. (:







Daily Surprises.....
"Babe i just got coined!"
This was exclaimed to me over the phone the other day and i was clueless. just when i think i've got the hang of the military my husband throws some other seemingly arbitrary lingo my way. He then explained in an excited rush that he had just received the Sharp Award from the Cheif's group on Ramstein. The term getting coined comes from the superior's action of handing the airman a coin when he shakes his hand. It's a reputable honor. Dana was awarded for doing an outstanding job when he thought no one was watching. I was so proud of him. He even had his picture in the paper! (:


Date night at your neighborhood Asian restaurant...
Dana and I have been dying to try the Asian restaurant literally right down the road from us... across the street from LARMC the hospital. It was delicious! I had the best dim sum i've ever tasted. i swear they put crack in it. I highly recommend this place to anyone who loves asian cusine! (or asian beer). I took photos of my fortune that night because not only was it scary accurate, and made my husband laugh hysterically... i thought it was great that one side of the fortune is in english and the other is in German. I can honestly say i've never gotten a fortune that didn't have some type of japanese or chinese translation.




Spring is on it's way...
Dana and i have continued our walks as often as possible. I can honestly say i've never seen spring come in so slowly before... or perhaps i've never taken notice. In the states it always seems like one day you wake up and you're driving down the highway and all of a sudden you notice that the world has turned green again. Here i notice the budding and trees, realizing in a few days this one will be covered in gorgeous blooms... that the saucer magnolia will be beautiful.. and the streets are about to burst with a sea of color. It's also interesting to see flowers and plants i'm not used to dealing with. I'm counting on my dad to tell me what they are. It's been wonderful to see the scenery wake up from such a gloomy winter.














This weekend:
Since i'm leaving for texas soon, dana and i are trying to get everything in order here in Germany. Which means fun things like putting furniture together has gone by the way side.... it still baffles me how we can get through an entire week and feel like NOTHING got accomplished. because we were busy.... because life happens... sigh. My passport still hasn't come in, which makes us a little nervous. but I'm putting my faith in God. He'll make it all work out. I'm happy to be able to give Him something and worry about one less thing. Wedding prep is all over the place. I now truly understand what my girls meant when they would look at me with weary eyes and say "i'll be so glad with this is just over...". I'm extremely close to the point where i just throw my hands in the air and say "i just don't care anymore... my perfectionista attitude is not only driving everyone else nuts, but it's turning me into Mrs. Crazy-Pants." yikes. It's as if the world is saying, give it up K... can't win 'em all.

I was also shocked at the sudden realization that i wasn't ready to go home. dana's and my relationship consisted of talking through some sort of electronic or paper device for almost an entire year, and neither of us are eager to do that again, even if it is for only a month and a half. I'm also bummed to miss the rest of spring in Germany. There are so many festivals and wine tastings.... i'll be eager to get back. Well, that's all for now. It was a long overdue update. Wishing all our friends and family a wonderful weekend! Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment