Subscribe to RSS

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving in Germany? Accomplished.

All of the trees are blank now. This picture was taken about a week or so ago and I am still in awe of all of the colors of Germany in the fall. I feel as if this season progressed slowly before my eyes so that I could take in each exact hue of orange, red, and yellow. I chuckle at the sprinkle of evergreen, so prominent in the woods here, because it means my theory that Germany never stops being green has been vindicated. The winter season has crept in with its sunless days and cold windy nights; however the signs of the new season aren't far behind. While Germany doesn't commercialize the holidays like America does, you still see Christmas trees and twinkle lights and big red bows. Plus, the Christmas deal commercials on Hulu scream that December is just around the corner, lest I forget. It's just a bit strange having almost come full circle, with a whole year of Germany under my belt. Our view out of our window has changed with every passing month, and this was the last new scene to be set before everything began repeating again.


Thanksgiving this year was freaking awesome. Not only was it the first Thanksgiving D and I have ever celebrated together as a married couple (last year he was in Germany, and I was still in the states) but I was invited to co-host this year's turkey holiday with the Jess Aiduk and Shawna Meese in Otterberg. It was probably the easiest holiday function I have ever been a part of. J, S and I are all high functioning human beings, full of organizational scheduling and control freak planning. We all split the dishes to bring and spent several days before in our respective kitchens cooking. Coming together T-day morning was fantastic. Like a giant food unveiling. Shawna's pie's were gorgeous!!! Jess's gorgonzola squash dish was picture perfect!!! We had appetizers and munched while prepping for dinner, then the guests arrived (some odd 25 people from assorted squadrons). The appetizers were swept up and replaced with the fruits of everyone's labor starring the prized fried turkey's cooked by Jesse Aiduk. He took his turkey contribution so seriously, even skyping with his dad to make sure we were doing things correctly. That is excellent dedication! It was a heart warming holiday with framily (friends + family). D and I woke up the next day content and psyched about all the leftovers!

So lately I've been on the receiving end of the questions "Who are the Jess's?" and "Why do you call them that?" Well my friends, here is the answer for all to see.... The Jess's AKA "The Aiduks" are a married couple D and I are close with here in Germany. We call them the Jess's because Her name is Jessica and His name is Jesse. da dum ching! = The Jess's. Below is my favorite picture of them from Thanksgiving. Mr. Aiduk was having a keen 'ole time impersonating his wife and I caught him in the act.
So here is the photogrphy story of our Thanksgiving festivities. I borrowed some photos from Jess because they were taken on her camera, but don't worry J! I'm giving you photo credit! Enjoy!
Photo of me by J. Aiduk
Photo by J. Aiduk with re-edits by K. Wollschlager.


D is doing much better!!! Which is awesome news. We even have him off the heavy meds and just on Ibuprofen. My hope is to get the Christmas tree and relative decorations up today, which involves a trip to the basement and a possible tetris game in the elevator. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Happy last days of November!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful food pictures. I think I need to go make some deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete