Subscribe to RSS

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's Beginning To Look Alot Like Christmas

Hot Chocolate!!!!! I managed to make the most epic hot chocolate ever last week when D and I decided to decorate the house. Melt some milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips in milk. Whisk until fully combined. Pour into respective festive holiday mugs. Then add a shot apiece of Kahlua and Smirnoff Toasted Marshmallow Vodka. YUMMMMMMMM. It will warm you right up. See? Hot chocolate isn't just for kids!


After Thanksgiving it was time to decorate for Christmas here at the Wollschlager's. What is super fun about this year is that we actually have a house to decorate. We have furniture and a tree and lights. Last year all we had was a bunch of boxes and no couch and zero counter space in the kitchen. My One Year Anniversary in Germany was on December 1st. It was amazing to think about everything that has happened in the past year while being overseas. I definitely could not have done it without all of the people in my life. I remember last year after I arrived, Jen Wall had celebrated her one year Germany anniversary and I was in awe. I read her blog post, and couldn't imagine what it would be like after living here for a whole year. Now after actually being there, it's pretty magical. So without further ado, here's our decked out house.

I saw this idea on pinterest, and with my newly covered pillows and the AWESOME ribbon I found in our "Christmas In A Box" box, I was able to make it happen! I love how festive it makes the living room feel!
Last year we bought our tree the day after Christmas to save money (half off!!!). So I am really excited to have a tree up for a whole month prior to Christmas! Granted, last year we left the tree up until almost April (oh man, don't say it) because we didn't have any lamps to light the living room. The tree helps light the area tremendous.
The christmas ball above was given to us by the Ndjerareou's this year and is our newest ornament! It's also one of my favorites because it says Merry Christmas in German. The picture ornament was given to us by Mama & Papa W last year with our November wedding picture inside.
The "W" was given to us by Mama & Papa W last Christmas. I was/still am so excited to embrace my new last initial. The glittery red felt snowflake was given to us by the Ndjerareou's last year and sparked the theme for a red and white tree.
The Wallace silver bell was given to us last year by my father. This is a Tudor family tradition I so hoped to carry to my own family someday. My parents bought a silver Wallace Christmas bell every year since I can remember. They were married for twenty-nine years which means that we have at least twenty-nine bells. The Polar Express was one of my favorite Christmas stories growing up. When we would decorate the tree, I would ring the Wallace bells and think of the Bell Santa gave to the boy. When I hear the magical chime of the bell, it means that the Christmas season has officially started... and as the book said, it's the most beautiful sound in the whole world. One of my favorite memories was when the bells would get tarnished and my mother and I would sit there with silver polish and rags and make the bells shine again while telling stories to each other.
Last year we found a box amongst our own belongings. It was labeled "Christmas in a Box". I was shocked and overjoyed to find that Mama W had sent us a huge plastic tote of Christmas decorations from her own home. Some of the ornaments that adorn our tree Dana has had all his life. She included everything you could possibly want or need... ornaments, ribbon, holiday napkins, paper plates, Christmas cards, figurines, a nut cracker & bowl, etc. It was one of the few moments in life where I felt more gratitude than I knew what to do with. It was something my mother would have done if she were still here. So thanks Joan... you truly made our Christmas special... forever.
This quilt is one of my most prized possessions. It's not very big, just a lap quilt... but it was made and hand quilted by my mother. The reason it's so special is that she quilted it during the winter of 2006 during her most vicious round of chemotherapy. If you look closely you can tell when she wasn't feeling well as her stitches get a little shaky. But I treasure this blanket because she sewed a piece of her heart inside. I love you my Sash... thanks for making me a piece of you to carry with me every Christmas.
The Christmas Cards are being made and sent out kids! So get excited to get yours in the mail! I'm doing them ten at a time, so don't get cranky if yours doesn't arrive at the same time as someone else's. I was so thrilled to put them together this year, as they are the first Christmas Cards D and I have sent out since we've been married. The advent calender above on the right is from Mama W. It's a huge blessing because it reminds me of my childhood. My mother always bought an advent calender at Christmas, the kind with chocolates inside. I could hardly wait to find the numbers and peel them back to get a treat everyday! You had better believe I was seriously bummed when I found out that I had to share with my baby brother....
The bakery down the road has started making and selling German Christmas cookies again! I am beyond excited here.... they are all so yummy and not so sweet... which basically means you can eat this entire plate full and not feel like you're going into a sugar coma. Fan-freaking-tastic if you as me!!! This year I decided to do a styled shoot with the cookies as I have learned a lot about food photography throughout the past year (Thanks Jess!!!). Dana found my note to Santa later in the day and proceeded to ask me if I was trying to hint at something.... I just laughed and showed him the photos. But, hey... it couldn't hurt *wink wink*


This past Monday I headed to Otterberg for Samantha's 2nd Birthday. I made "Pretty-In-Pink" Strawberry Cupcakes for her special day. I got to witness all kinds of special birthday traditions such as fairy-bread (toast with birthday sprinkles), colored eggs, and balloon-o-rama. It is such fun to see a mom treat her kids to a special birthday. Bravo Jess... I tip my hat to you. J also did an awesome photoshoot with her daughter titled "Two going on Sixteen". On Monday, I was able to get so me cute shots of J with her girls. So here's some snapshots of our adventures that day.


While at Jess's that day it was day TWO of SNOW!!!!!! I was so excited!!! Particularly when J looked out the window to exclaim "SNOW GLOBE SNOW!!!!". I looked at her like she was nuts and then laughed because she was totally right. It looked like a German winter snow globe outside. So of course while she put the girls down to nap, I went out into the freezing cold, sans-jacket to take photos. EEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!


Friday is D's office Christmas Party and Saturday is the Jess's Ugly Sweater Party! Talk about holiday festivities!!! I love this time of year! I'm also hoping to try some holiday baking things and get to work on Leah's branding for her new company! So much stuff... oh and finish my holiday shopping... yikes. Hope everyone is having a fantastic holiday season!!! Lots of love to you all!!!!

3 comments:

  1. awww love this post! I am CRAVING the festive feeling because the weather is soooo warm here. I want all that this post encompasses; the decorations (which look so good btw), the hang time and party festivities, and the SNOW! Miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Jul Wollschlager på Tyksland!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. En gang til... God Jul Wollschlager på Tyskland !!!

    ReplyDelete