Subscribe to RSS

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Birthday Surprise

In light of Thanksgiving this week (coupled with the fact that I am STILL majorly behind on picture editing) I wanted to post this photo and give thanks that I have a sister. It was the one thing I always lacked and am insanely curious about. I had many a friend growing up who had a sister and they'd fight (as sister's often do) but they would also play dress up together, braid each other's hair, talk about boys, and cover for each other with the parentals. This phenomenon was lost on me, as the closest thing I had to a sister was my mother. While my mother was AWESOME, there was still the parent boundary that occasionally got in the way of forging a true sister bond. I watch my mother with her sisters (lucky gal had four!) and I remember the day it dawned on me that I would have to grow up without that support system. It is a powerful bond, even if not by blood, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude towards my husband for sharing his sister with me. So here's to you Sar-bear. Happy Thanksgiving. I am grateful for you, for the person you are, for the super mom courageous striking inspirational qualities you possess. Thank you for your encouragement and your love, for your understanding and patience, and for your big gigantic heart. You mean the world to me. I love you seeeeeeeeeeeeeeester!!!!


Now before you get all excited, no it's not permanently ours.... But Dana did suprise me in a ridiculous way for my birthday this year. We had a rough couple of weeks leading up to October 12, and I was looking forward to driving to Bitche, France for the weekend. Little did I know that Dana had spent the past several months planning... He brought me home flowers (& came home with a hair cut!)and we finished packing. He nonchalantly mentions that someone has parked in our numbered spot downstairs in the lot. I thought this was odd, because it never happens, but he's a smooth operator so I went with it. We get downstaris and I see the car parked in our spot is the car pictured above. A Mercedes SLK 200. *cue angel choir* Dana asked me if I had ever seen one up close and I said I hadn't, minorly annoyed that he was checking our a car that wasn't ours when I was eager to hit the road. It was until he reaches into his pocket and clicks the door locks that I realized it was ours for the weekend. Holy frosting on a cupcake I was psyched!!! and confused... and surprised... D was like a kid in a candy store. We loaded up our luggage and headed out. He again nonchalantly mentions that we were taking the long way to France, meaning a trip that should have taken 45 minutes would be taking us two hours. I was fine with that, I just figured he wanted to play with the car. It wasn't until two hours later when he queued up the voice activated navigation system that I got suspicious. "For what city would you like?" "Baden-Baden"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet jimmy jameny.... It took me the entire car ride to process that he was taking me to the spa capital of Germany.
This was the restaurant he took me to for dinner. They had the most beautifully plated food I've seen in a long time. Not to mention absolutely scintillatingly delicious!!! But of course, as he wanted me to enjoy the meal, no camera allowed. We stayed at the most quaint hotel that served us champagne upon our arrival and gave me a vase of water for my flowers.
The view from our room was breathtaking. I was one hundred percent charmed, and so proud to call Dana my husband.
Come to find out that the building above is where I would be the following morning for the most luxurious spa treatments I have ever received. I took a bath in rose petals, recieved an hour long massage, took a snooze in a watermassaging water bed, had a manicure, and finally an hour long facial. WOW. I didn't know these kinds of things existed. I only thought they were made up for the movies.

Now let me tell you what a sweet rocking town Baden-Baden is. Its the Uptown Dallas of Germany in its swanky upscale shopping, ritzy cars, and well dressed folks. I saw more bently's that weekend than I have seen in my entire life. It was a thrill just to walk around and take photos. Which is exactly what we did on Saturday afternoon. D was so patient while I played with my camera (the biggest birthday present of all!). So here's our photos from the weekend.
So that was my birthday surprise. You had better believe that we drove that car all weekend. Taking six hours to get home on Sunday. I felt like a million dollars. Thanks D for your careful planning and ability to surprise me. It was AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to go back and visit when B & Sean get here!


This week is Thanksgiving. Which means Holiday Bakefest 2012 Part A commences today. I am co-hosting Thankgsiving with Jess and Shawna in Otterberg at the Jess's on thursday. SO excited. We have a menu planned that would make any American proud. I just hope I can pull off making the top secret fudge recipe that's been in our family for years! It's the first year I'm making it all by myself. *cringe*

I wish everyone a beautiful holiday this week. May you be surrounded by your loved ones. and if you aren't come on up to Otterberg!!! Lots of love!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh I'm SUPER jealous of your spa time! The pictures are AMAZING! I want to goooooo therrrrrrrre! Can't wait to hang tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing! Baden-Baden is on my must-see list now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten, Dana is so sweet to plan your surprise trip. I know you felt like "Miss Astor" with all the pampering you received. The photos you took were breathtaking. The colors were just beautiful. You are so lucky to be having the time of your life with your fantastic husband and soaking up all the surrounding scenery, lifestyles and food. Memories to last a lifetime. Hope your Thanksgiving went well. Knowing you, you went over the top with everything and it was a smashing success.
    Mucho love to you and Dana--Mimi

    ReplyDelete