Subscribe to RSS

Sunday, November 11, 2012

One Year Anniversary (The REAL One)

Today, one year ago, I wasn't in Germany. I was in Garland, Texas frantically trying to pack a bag and remember all of the tiny little details for our wedding day. The journey that lay ahead was unknown, and I was thrilled at the possibilities the future held. This post today is dedicated to my perspicaciously wonderful husband Dana, who continues to challenge me, uplift me, and help me to know when it's okay to stop. We joke and say he was the immovable wall that met the unstoppable force. More and more each day, I learn just how well matched we are as we balance each other through this beautiful thing called life. So in honor of what today holds, and most of you haven't seen many of these photos, I'm posting pictures of that memorable day last November. I love you, D.
One year ago today started out like any other for about the first sixty seconds after I woke up. I was determined to be on time for everything today. Least of all the wedding. I packed my bags and my brother helped me to the car. Krista, my photographer & friend, had brought me coffee from our Starbucks. We piled in the car and were off to Todd's to get my hair done. For those of you who are not aware, going to Todd's is like winning the lottery for an afternoon. You walk in feeling like a contestant on an extreme makeover reality show. Your hair is then lathered in the most amazing smelling shampoo and conditioners known to man. You are toweled off and then the real work begins. The snipping and cutting and styling and drying. Magical potions are sprayed. Mystical hair balms are put in. Before you know it, your hair no longer resembles your own. You feel like a million dollars. EVERY TIME. Going to Todd's was an important part of the days agenda as Todd and my mother were extremely close. Going to his salon made it feel like she was actually there sitting in the chairs with us. Todd finished his sorcery an hour and a half early. Super! On to Phase Two.

We pulled up to Niemen Marcus at Willow Bend Mall way ahead of schedule. I was psyched. Things seemed to be going well in the W camp across town in Arlington. If I could just make it through makeup on time, we'd be golden. I walked into the MAC store and after about twenty minutes, I knew I was in trouble. See, the unknown fact of the day is that MAC associates have to wait on you and whatever customers come in that day. So if they are short staffed, the other customers come first. Who came up with this ridiculous logic? I have no idea, especially since I could be buying every single product that she puts on my face. I tried to be polite and inform her that it was, infact, my wedding day. To my horror, the whole process was taking two and a half hours. It was ten minutes to 4:00 and if we didn't leave right then and there, I wasn't going to make it to my own wedding. I panicked (of course, because really.. wouldn't you?) and rushed to get into my dress. Once inside my car, I turned to my brother and said "We need to get there, NOW. I don't care what you have to do, just don't get us pulled over okay?" He nodded his head in serious understanding of my wishes and we were off.

Luckily the W camp was already at the courthouse and they did a brilliant job of stalling. They also managed to convince the judge to stay past 5pm to marry us after the courthouse had officially closed. My heart was racing the entire way downtown. I swear my brother made it from Willow Bend in Plano to downtown Dallas in twenty minutes flat in rush hour traffic on a Friday evening. Unbelievable. I stepped out of the car and my father placed my bouquet into my shaking hands and I walked in the door to see my future husband looking strikingly handsome in his dress blues.
The next twenty minutes were a blur. I was so relieved to make it to the courthouse and be married that nothing else really mattered. It took me a bit to calm down and the only was I could was because of Dana's steady hand. He never let go of me once. But that's how he is, and that's why I love him. When I am way past control he is so calm and collected and I always know that whatever comes our way, even if I can't handle it, he can and we'll be okay. The ceremony was simple, but beautiful. The vows I said that day I have flashed back to on random occasions in the past year. We wholeheartedly promised to work with each other, take care of each other, honor and love each other... forever and ever, Amen. I feel that it is important to be reminded of why you make those promises. In the beginning you are so full of hope. I think it is crucial to not let that hope ever die. That even in times of darkness or strife, it is that hope that lights your way though your marriage. Sometimes I don't do a good job of remembering that, but then there are days like today where it hits me with an insurmountable force that I cannot forget.
Then the judge says I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride.... It is impossible to describe this moment. Bliss. Comfort. Sheer happiness. Relief. Hope. Fearless. Dana proceeded to kiss me and I left the largest smear of red lipstick all over his face. Judge Gonzales even gave us tissues. The moments that followed that evening are some of my favorites. Just the immediate family went to dinner at Morton's Steakhouse after a lengthy photography session downtown. Everyone was smiling and laughing. We all had bellies full of the delicious seafood (a dream come TRUE!). It's one of those rare moments in life where you really think "I don't need anything more than this..."
Looking back on it all now, it brings tears to my eyes. I am also in shock of just how much my love for Dana has grown in just one short year. While we have had our share of rough times, the good days just seem to shine that much brighter. I am so grateful that I can rest in Dana, knowing that he'll look out for me and take care of me. In the years to come I still want to respect and honor him in the ways he deserves. I love that I can come to him and ask for prayer. That if we reach an immovable stalemate we can go to the Lord together through prayer. Marriage has become this beautifully woven quilt of both our past, present, and future selves. As always, I'm fascinated to break it down and see each thread that built the foundation we stand on together today.

Dana, you are my life. You are the best choice I ever made. You are my greatest strength and my greatest weakness. I love you now, I love you always. Vous et Moi. Toujours.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story. And the pictures! Oh how I love the pictures! Congrats to you two lovebirds!

    ReplyDelete