Subscribe to RSS

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2012's Close Brings 2013's Beginning

For the next six weeks, I'm excited to report that I'll be teaching a Photoshop class to two of my favorite fellow photographers here in Germany. We'll be covering everything from the workspace to mulitmedia with a focus on photography editing. I'm so psyched! Luckily D has happily agreed to be a model for me should I need one to demonstrate technique. This was me playing around with eyes and skin tone from the holidays.


The holidays were good to us this year. So much celebrating and lots of "Air Force Family". We did manage to get out to the K-town Christmas Market before it was over. I was slightly bummed that we didn't get out to see more Christmas Markets this year, but it was a trade off for spending that time with friends/family. Dana had the whole week from Christmas to New Years off of work! I felt so very fortunate to get to be with my husband for so long. So here are some photos from our adventures.

The above two images were taken by Jessica Aiduk

New Years was spent with the Aiduk's in Otterberg this year. I was beyond thrilled to be home for this holiday considering last year we were in Paris. Come to find out, Germany has no fireworks laws and you can shoot them off wherever.... I haven't been this excited since I was a kid and we had 4th of July at Auntie Teresa's. You better believe that D and I hit up Kauffland and bought our fair share of a pyromaniacs dream.

Jess informed us that come midnight, the entire town shoots off fireworks, and with their view it's almost 360 degrees of sparkly display. Of course I had to take advantage with my handy dandy tripod and experiment with long exposure shots. I was satisfied with the results considering how much I had been celebrating that evening. The hilarious part is that I had done all of this research on how to take sparkler photos. When the big moment finally came I was so excited that I waved to sparkler in front of us for the picture and completely forgot that it's a three person job. That the person waving the sparkler was supposed to be the third person while person number two was taking the picture and D and I were just supposed to stand still.... oh well. Next time!

See that one above? That's me excited and waving the sparkler...

This new year holds much for Dana and I. A potential deployment, officer candidacy, a photography business proposal, all while still overcoming the challenges of living abroad. I have so much hope for this year, despite the hardships I know lie in our near future. My resolution, above all else, is to stay positive. With as dreary as the weather can get, plus living six months without my husband I anticipate some dark days ahead. I'm not trying to borrow trouble, I simply want to prepare myself for the days the darkness tries to swallow me. Hope can light your way and pull you out of whatever black hole you've managed to fall in. It can be encouraging in a marriage and drive you to be successful when you feel you're struggling. We have lots of plans and projects for this year, but I want to keep myself in check with a hopeful heart, even when things are good.


Challenge Numero Uno: Always bring your camera. I know this sounds insane... I mean really, how many more pictures can this girl take?  But you'd be surprised that the missed opportunities over the past month. So I'm taking my camera no matter what. Even if it's on a little no nonsense trip to the commissary... You just NEVER KNOW when the sun will decide to peek out and create a brilliant light. Or when your husband decides to take you on a driving adventure to new and distant lands. Or when you wind up witnessing those rare moments that scream "I LIVE IN FOREIGN COUNTRY".  So to start the year off Laura Welborn and I went on a Photo-walk in Otterberg. What is a photo walk you say? Well, it's quite simple really... You grab a friend with a camera and you go 'a walkin'.... Snapping pictures along the way of your findings. It's good for technique and lighting practice. And sometimes, if you get lucky your friend will capture an AMAZING photo of you! Here is Otterberg through my eyes...
Then Laura decided to use me as a "practice model" and she caught this photo. It makes me so happy just to look at it. Thanks L!!!!


The week is already half over.... gracious where does the time go? We're super excited because this weekend Russ, Michelle, and little Dean arrive in Germany! I am psyched to see the reuniting of my husband with his childhood best friend. What a blessing that they will be living here too! We're also supposed to be getting some major snow within the next couple of days. I sure hope the forecast is right, because we've been seriously lacking in the winter weather department. I wish you all an amazing start to 2013! I wish you a wonderful rest of the week! Miss and love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Kirsten, loved all your photos. The seasons do
    bring such great colors in to play for all to see.
    So happy you and Dana had a good Christmas and New
    Year. Hopefully this 2013 will be kind to all of us and bring us showers of blessings!

    Love you and Dana--MIMI

    ReplyDelete